Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Scythes are the new BARRELS!


We went to our li'l community board meeting last night (if that's what they called it) and the City Manager presented a powerpoint doohickey that covered deficits and city expenditures.


Mind=blown over the fact that the city of D_____ spends $400,000 annually making sure all vacant lots are cut -- once! Between gasoline, manpower, maintenance, etc. that is what it costs!


Now, at the corner of our street, there is a nice, old house/maybe-at-one-time-office sort of building, a nice grey-blue color. The grass has not been cut all year; it's up to my hips.


I asked the City Manager and the Mayor, then, if I were to go out and buy a sickle or scythe or borrow a Bush-Hog from some real man I might know, and just CUT down the grass I see around our neighborhood, couldn't I save the city some $$$?


They nodded and smiled and the CM actually gave a thumbs-up!


So, I intend to go to Ace or maybe even Harbor Freight and buy a scythe for fifty bucks, then roam the streets looking for out-of-control lots I could possibly hack 'n' hack. Then, I can learn to sharpen my old blade, sitting out on the porch, in the dark.


"Chee-lays! Bring me a glass of Vernors!"

No comments: