Thursday, June 4, 2009

Score of the decade


I'm fairly certain that half the information on the Internet is simply people yapping about hot sauce, yet here is more.

I remember the first time I consciously tried Tabasco - it was Jimmy Carter's inauguration day! I was home from school because of cold/snow/general 1977-era societal malaise. My mom was sorting through her kitchen cabinet throwing away old stuff (old Clabber Girl baking powder, eg) and she set down a mysterious bottle of turned-brown liquid.


"What's this?"


"Hot sauce. It's very hot."

Well. This sounded good to me and I slathered it all over my (then) 19-cent little pizza (you know the ones) that I had for lunch. Love!!

Point of all this nostalgic waxing is that I was taking some boxes to my 88 year old aunt the other day for her move to Columbus and she said "Do you want these?" and offered me TWO bottles of aged-to-brown Tabasco. Still full. Probably bought around 2002. Tabasco doesn't really get hotter or anything as it loses color, but it does get sort of weird. Very excited!

For the first time ever in my life, doing something for someone else paid off.


No comments: