Thursday, June 18, 2009

Two (2) nice things

This blog only seems like it's bitch, bitch, bitch all the time!




"Why does Teri Hatcher make that face?"
"Who are these idiots who prefer Joy Division to New Order?"
"The Hold Steady - WHY???"
"Norwegian Wood by Maruki Hurakami - you got to be shitting
me!"
"Why has no one ever figured out or asked whether he's saying ECK cetera in
'Sweet and Tender Hooligan' on PURPOSE?"






ECK cetera

There are some nice things that happen, in life. Herewith, two:

My aunt's cat Cutie, who is like Hyman Roth in that she's been dying from "renal failure" for two years but shows no real effects that I have ever seen - well, my aunt is moving to Columbus at 88 and the cat can't come due to allergies on the parts of someone (son? daughter-in-law?). So there was a last-minute big panic about what to do with this "dying" cat. My aunt was sobbing that the night before the move the cat was all extra-lovey and giving her kisses and the like. I'm sure my cousin was just hoping for a Night of The Long Needle or perhaps dropping said puttytat from an airplane. ANYway, I took the cat by the whiskers (to coin a phrase) and got my boss, the gentleman farmer of chicken-rescue fame, to take said cat and let it live in barn/garage/stables with other cats, horses and the rooster. Sweet!


Other nice thing is that my driver's side window has been slowly dying - it would go down, but not back up, at least not without getting out of the car and putting one's whole weight on it. Then, yesterday, with a storm (that never materialized) a-brewing, the button completely died. When I pulled in front of my building, the guy up the street and his buddy were out putzing with one in a series of small motorcycles (weird orange 70's Yamahas, eg) and I thought to save some stair-climbing by asking him if I could use a flat-head screw drive to poke around. The dude just gets up, comes over, takes the door apart, removes the switch (1989-era Swede engineering at its finest, replete with ball-bearings inside), reassembles it, puts the door back together and now it works like a charm! If I had a hundred years on the moon by myself, I could not have done this! Neighborly as fuck!



I bought these two a "sixer" of "Bud," which was enjoyable in its oddness. $6.15 for a six-pack? Good lord! I could get two Highsmith books from Alibris for that! Amazing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This just might be the BEST post EVER.