Friday, April 17, 2009

The Cruel Signmaker

Have you been to my new shop(pe)? It's called The Cruel Signmaker!

On the recent jaunt to the near-West, I saw any number of signs for a Lion's Den-style smut shack called Passion's [sic].

PASSION'S

35 mi. ahead - ADULT SUPERSTORE

My question was: was it supposed to be called Passions, sans apostrophe? Or was there an actual proprietress called "Passion"? As in: (employee answers phone) "Passion's...no, you just missed her, she had to drive over to Topeka to pick up some [orifice-damming device-name redacted]..."

???

Anyway, this put me in mind of signmakers, billboard designers et al. I thought at first to write a short story about a sad, near-retirement age fellow who runs a sign shop and has so despaired of having idiot customers come in wanting badly spelled or grammatically flawed signage that he finally just gives in and starts making signs that do indeed say, say, Passion's...but even I don't want to read that (too depressing!), so instead I'm going to open a business where I can sternly refuse any proffered text with such glaring errors as "Now there's [sic] two choices!" or "quotes" randomly "inserted" by "people" who "don't" know "any better."

So, yes, pop on in to The Cruel Signmaker!

No comments: