Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I, too, want a viking funeral

My secret shame (just one?) is that I have become a devotee (when I happen to be driving at that time of night, which is rare, since I try to make sure I get sixteen hours of sleep) of Michael Savage's effed-up rants and raves.

"Bring up the Cuban music!" he shouts. And he's the kind of windbag who can tell a caller (before he cuts said caller off, mid-sentence) that he knows the exact last two places to get good "red sauce Italian food" in Vegas. Do ya?

He reminds me of the old Ed Anger column in the Weekly World News.

I'm not endorsing him in the least, just saying his off-the-wall hatey banalities make me chuckle.

The other week, for instance, in a bag-pipe drenched soliloquy on the police who were killed in Oakland (remember this?), he carried on at length about what a mess it was, then, apropos of nada, he says "I want a viking funeral."

I did not know (somehow) that a viking funeral was a real, bona fide thing (this, again, probably because I was raised sans cable so have never seen Legend or whatever...though I did indeed have a 45 of Bryan Ferry's theme from same)! One puts the deceased in a ship, pushes ship to sea then shoots flaming arrows into it! Ta-dah!: Viking funeral!

I want one, too! It would be a mite too precious to admit that the arrows should be somehow fired by CATS, so I will withold this little tidbit!

1 comment:

Gabe said...

i have wanted this for years, you are a johnny-come-lately on the viking funeral tip dawg!