Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Exactly how petty I am



You know, Nada Surf could be one of my top ten bands, probably, just on the strength of their 2003 LP Let Go. Add to that some select tracks from their other albums and BLAMMO!, one has an 80-minute CD to be reckoned with. Three piece covering "Blue Monday"? Shit yes, sign me up! That crazy not-like-the-rest-of-catalogue "Popular" song? YES!

Somehow, though, I can never really given myself over completely. That teasing "somehow" is a red herring, really - I know exactly why.

I cannot get over the bass player's stupid dreads.

That's how surfacey and petty I can be.

See, I can listen to Let Go without reservations: "Blizzard of '77," "Paper Boat" (best bridge ever!), the mighty "Inside of Love"...this record is strong enough to deflect my dread-derision. But the later, still-good-but-not-overwhelmingly-great albums can't hide the fact that I start thinking about the dumb dreads on that guy. And I'm three quarters serious!

He just looks like he would be in some quasi-reggae/sorta DMB-style band out at Wright State, which is our local college of fairly-okay repute, but sorta used-to-be-a-diploma-mill kinda school. Like the Wright State equivalent wherever you are. You know what I'm talking about. And the band would be called something dumb like "Unabummer." Dude would drive an old Saab with rust all over it and a Death From Above 1979 sticker, but when asked about them, he wouldn't know and just would say he thought the sticker was "cool." ARGH!

Anyway, I do hope these guys get a song on the Shrek 9 OST to get some scratch so they can keep putting out those nice records. And were the dreads to go away, and I could gets some distance on things, I believe that in a couple more really good records they could find themselves safely ensconced in the top ten bands of my favor.

And isn't that what we all want?

(here are some bonus dashes I didn't use above: ---------)

No comments: