Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Deep Cuts

I had a sneaky feeling there were some good Rolling Stones songs I'd never heard, growing up in a Beatles house. So I duly acquired Between the Buttons (1967), home of "Let's Spend the Night Together" and "Ruby Tuesday" and, sure enough, there were some pearlers I'd never encountered, not the least of which is "Connection," which lasts 2:15 and utterly rules: "everything's going in the wrong direction/the doctor wants to give me more injections" over a Tamla/Motown shuffle. Plus, because this is the first time I've listened to the whole thing, the LP is sort of infused with a nice, wintry Xmas feeling, and leaves me with a smirk akin to the one Mr Jones has on his face on the cover.

Also, unrelatedly but because it makes me insane, here's a picture of the Kinks (to whom I can never absolutely commit) from the same era; Dave Davies's proto-Slade look baffles/delights/horrifies depending on the time of day/one's mood...:


No comments: