Friday, December 19, 2008

Rolling Stones, still!


I had mentioned that I was raised in a Beatles house, right? So even yesterday, I get a call from my brother and in passing I say "Oh, dude, I forgot to tell you, I'm on a weird Stones kick..."

"Uh huh."

"No, really, there are tons of hot weird tracks that you've scarcely heard."

"Uh huh, well, in college, Bob DeS----r had this friend Chuck who was all about the Stones and he came over to out place on Poplar one time and we listened to old Stones records and I was like 'You gotta be shittin' me.' They were terrible. The songs you've never heard always sound like they played them about once and recorded them...sucks!"

"Yes, well, see that's part of the charm, the shittiness..."

Anyway, I could see I would make no inroads so I just shut my mouth...

That said, here is the hot mix I made (early to 1983 or so), which also serves to have a Christmas vibe. One can picture the bad kids in the 60s listening to some of the early tracks at some Episcopal church dance and there being a controversy about Stones records being played...coming out to snow on the Ford Falcon station wagon...some wag having a dog named Dammit...

Undercover of the Night
When the Whip Comes Down
Mother’s Little Helper
She’s a Rainbow
Connection
Hang Fire
Let’s Spend the Night Together
We Love You
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?
Moonlight Mile
If I Was a Dancer (Dance, Pt 2)
Memory Motel
Factory Girl
Sway
I Am Waiting
Memo from Turner
Complicated
Lady Jane
Under My Thumb
Everything Is Turning to Gold

(and I'm not a fair-weather friend, just woke up this very morning thinking of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjAVqK2nqmI
which I duly "got" over my morning glass of water,
and, not at all relatedly, was making a new playlist on the Zen for the weekend and I don't somehow have "Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me" in my MP3 player? WTF?)

1 comment:

Mary said...

The early albums are the only ones worth listening to, my friend. I'm talkin' straight-up, bitch-slappin' you AND yo' mama: Brian Jones. Yeah, I WENT there.