Tuesday, December 9, 2008

No One Evah Shook Sunny


So, Sunny von Bulow passed away over the weekend after being in a coma for more than 25 years.

Which serves to remind me of Reversal of Fortune, which is never a good thing.

Actually, the first time I saw it, in a theatre in Kansas City when it came out, I really enjoyed it. But the last time I saw it, I dunno, a few years back, I cringed. Cringed at the movie itself and cringed at my younger self for thinking it was good!

Oh, lord, Ron Silver as Alan Dershowitz, with a Dershperm for the ages, and the positing of the crustier-than-Vonnegut Alan as a sort of romantic lead, opposite the way pre-Gloria Trillo Annabella Sciorra (zounds!); the defense team of law students, which includes the chick from Desperate Housewives who's married to the gay guy from Melrose, that one...what's her name...AND, because, we are diverse, the team includes a couple of pre-goths, the man of which (if memory serves) is a dead ringer [Irons! - there's a movie I should watch] for David J from Bauhaus. The scenes with Jeremy Irons being the creepy Klaus and Glenn Close as Sunny aren't half-bad, but the whole enterprise has aged like any number of Mark Harmon-as-Ted Bundy Sunday afternoon Lifetime movies (and, yes, there are so many). What boggles is that this was highly touted at the time, just short of art-house; definite Oscar bait. Barbet Schroeder was quite acclaimed after Barfly [ooh! another rewatcher!]...

PLUS this was the movie that made Fisher Stevens. SO much to answer for.

No comments: