Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Grungy water-colored memories...

CNN has/had this up:

i REPORT.COM
What it means to you
Nirvana's album helped boost grunge music to the top. Share your grunge photos and memories

Okay, then:
I was walking down the street in October of 1991 and my friend Pete came up on his Yamaha and said "Have you heard the new Nirvana song?" and took off his Walkman, rewound his cassette to start of "Smells Like Teen Spirit."
I listened for a second and nodded, "Yeah, I've heard this," as the familiar ping-ping! guitar part in the quiet verse portion rang out. Handing back his player, I said "Sounds like the Pixies."
Now, there was a precedent to that, too - in fall 1989, I heard "Wave of Mutilation" on the radio while buyin' cigs 'n' beer in the U-Shop [oh, would that it had been called the Price Chopper!] and thought to myself, and maybe even said to the guy working, "Is this the Jesus and Mary Chain?"
Other than that, I don't remember much of the grunge era. Not the happiest of times, and it was so very long ago. I remember Your Arsenal coming out. Does that count?

1 comment:

Taking Charge: Creating Conditions for Prosperity said...

Oh, c'mon- you weren't buying beer. You were buying wine coolers to get drunk/sick on.