Wednesday, December 31, 2008

What's wrong with this cover?

No, nothing wrong with the luscious Blanchette, it's that the Blake Bailey biography of John Cheever is coming in March and there's no VF gory preview? WTF?

I'm of two minds, because

1.) while I don't want the poor man dragged through the dirt anew with excessive prurience, there needs to be some hype in this awful age, enough to get someone off their collective ass and gather all the unpublished/uncollected stories and put them together in a new complete definitive tome of the short stories [mea culpa if I have yammered about this previously]. I mean, a book so big one needs a winch to move it. DO IT!

2.) I'm happy that, at almost 70 years of age, I am finally detached enough from the interests I hold dear that I am comfortable sharing them with the world, without worrying whether hoi polloi will dilute their power. This is a far cry from when I was worried Belle and Sebastian would turn up on Party of Five or something. In the age of the Kindle and imminent complete societal decay, ANY sort of furtherance of beautiful things is to be lauded.

Sez me!

1 comment:

Nick said...

Frickin' shit!:

http://www.amazon.com/John-Cheever-Collected-Stories-Writings/dp/1598530348/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

Searching high and low for complete contents!