Thursday, December 18, 2008

Snobissimo!: a top 10 list

I'll just say it. I've never heard:

anything by Fall Out Boy

"Umbrella" (Rihanna)

"My Humps" (Black Eyed Peas)

"Sexyback" (Justin Timberlake)

"Yes, We Can" - Wyclef

anything by Hinder

anything by Daughtry (these last two are probably the same songs, admittedly)


I say this not to brag or not to seem snotty; I just don't know WHERE people hear these things, as I never have the radio on and don't watch sports or go get all up in it at da club. Thus I'm a snob; I move in "small, crabby circles" as the sainted Anthony Lane so compellingly phrased it once. I would guess I heard more new music this year than in any since my teens, yet it was all basically by myself - in headphones, or at most, with two or three others. Part of this is, of course, age. My innate peer group are now mostly great-grandparents, dealing with the crack and meth problems of their high school aged great-grandchildren and thus have no time nor inclination to check out something called "Blitzen Trapper" or hear my poncey opining about something (maybe a sports drink?) called Max Tundra. But, sometimes wearily, I must trek on, ceaselessly seeking perfect pop moments to label in memory and file away. Bah!

















Here, in no real order, are my ten fave LPs of 2008, fwiw:

Dears - Missiles
Juliana Hatfield - How to Walk Away
The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement
Boston Spaceships - Brown Submarine
The Cure - 4:13 Dream
The Academy Is... - Fast Times at Barrington High
Army Navy - s/t
Killers - Day and Age
Pas/Cal - I Was Raised on Matthew, Mark, Luke and Laura
Thao and the Get Down Stay Down - We Brave Bee Stings and All


Here's the vid for the Thao:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=966nqAtqWzE

2 comments:

Bricker said...

weird. I don't even know how I found Thao, and then you have it on your list. Well, I recant. I sort of know how I found Thao. It was on emusic. I think I paid for it even. One will never know. It is one of those unknowable things that one must take on faith. Peace and faith, man.

Mary said...

Remind me to punch you the arm for putting Juliana Hatfield on a "faves '08" list. Better yet, tell Amy that I said for her to "do that thing that she does". Harrumph.