Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My labile feelings toward Zissou

On finally watching The Life Aquatic, I was super-jazzed for the first half...was saying "Wow! This just may be my fave movie ever! It boils and boils to no avail, it looks great and, man and boy, do I ever wish little title cards in Futura would pop up as I was doing stuff [actual font not provided on eblogger or whatever the hell this is]:

GETTING THE WASH FROM BASEMENT

or

NOON: MEETING FOR STEAK SANDWICH*

But then the bottom fell out: when there was a big circle imposed on the sky (the Northern Ring or summat) and then all sorts of silly gunplay etc and then no real denouement of the story arc, it was all a bit much, like some rich gateau of Anderson obsessions looking for a plot resolution. I dunno, I'm sure I will watch it again, and there were many funny tidbits, but the helicopter crash with lapping waves a la Top Gun was a bit, I dunno, forced. Plus this movie came out 4+ years ago, so why should I care to bother to blather about it?

That's a mystery more unsettling than any damned jaguar shark.


* on the junk food-free diet, because, while it is indeed just fancy junk food, it comes to about 17 dollars with tip, thus making me feel grown up (if spendthrift-y) and negating any sense of fast food establishment shitness.

No comments: