Wednesday, March 11, 2009

An intense greenness


Epicurious does not put up current month's issues' recipes, alack.

The current Bon Appetit has a nicoise-like asparagus/tuna/fried caper concoction that is a good reason to keep oneself alive. Just amazing!

The killer part, though, is the chive vinaigrette. Good god: chives, shallot, a dab of honey, a dab of dijon, vegetable and olive oils emulsified in the food processor. I have not stopped thinking about it since Sunday when I first partook.

Everyone knows I'm obsessed with garlic; indeed, that's me you can smell right now. In high school, a girl asked me once "Are you Italian?" because I was always giving off the stink of the "Italian marijuana." But this chive/shallot combo - dammit, it's intense like garlic, yet it has a pervasive greenness that is unlike anything else. It's sort of the gustatory equivalent of the kind of eye-singeing green that new spring grass can take on when the forsythia are going.

INSANE!

Must make more and put over cold roast beef. I could and should go on about this, because I am trying to forestall going out and cleaning my car...

1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Kptp6u4JQ
2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZrTQr-F7U

No comments: