Friday, March 13, 2009

Listening styles II - facing a hard truth, and a mea culpa

Then sometimes I will try to listen to Rock Archival Classics I Should Care About, knowing they are good for me and maybe they will somehow click with me this time - but, with best intentions, I know even while I try to listen to Trout Mask Replica or Metallic K.O. I'd rather be listening to something (anything?) else [or, indeed, Something/Anything]. It's the same sort of wrongheaded good intention as saying "Dammit, I am going to read all of Proust this summer!"

With this is mind, I humbly admit I will likely never make it through the Kinks box set I have tooted various horns about for months.

Oh, I could pretend to, but that would not be fair to any of us.

There were some moments, early on, where I thought "No, I really do care about the Kinks!" But as the grinding Daviesian playlist wore on, and the band, mid-70s, took on the frightening appearance of some proto-Dire Straits, all hope was lost.

Well, not all, I did find the simply fantastic "Shangri-La" out of the whole deal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt0IXkIVvo4

So, we here at Nick Eddy Relents apologize for any inconvenience.

1 comment:

Mike Po said...

How many times have I told you this? Ray Davies in continually held up as genius, when, in fact, his net total of brilliance is three hits in five decades (two of which were mostly riffs written by his brother, the other being a coincidentally well-timed MTV crossover).