Monday, March 2, 2009

Uncle Al is dead!

If you live outside of Southwest Ohio, you're lucky. Wait! Yes, that, you are lucky but also you have no idea who Cincinnati children's TV legend Uncle Al was, or that he's gone. But he is.

I dunno, I don't actually remember overmuch about his show, other than my neighbor had a better antenna on his house so could get Cincinnati TV in better (resentment!) and I very vaguely remember some weird recurrent segment they would do where he went to some cave? Like, walking along a precipice over a chasm of sorts to go to some other mystical tv land, all done in super-crappy early 70s cutaway/bluescreen (like the Eskimo show Butch is watching as a kid in Pulp Fiction)? Or maybe I dreamt this/have it blended in with Land of the Lost? It does seem a bit far out for the Land of Charles Keating and Joe Morgan...

I love that they broke in with a special report, though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wND5BKL2LQ8

Also, a good excuse to post this, which rules utterly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV6hYI-Se-A

1 comment:

Rob said...

I have a really vague, fuzzy recollection that I was on that show once as a kid. Note to self: must call mom to check.