Monday, March 2, 2009

St Duffy

Very excited this morning to realize this blog has been going long enough that I cannot remember whether I have mentioned the mighty Stephen Duffy...I apologize now for both if I will now cover old ground or, unthinkably, I have indeed neglected mentioning him until now. Still, it was a shock on Friday afternoon late, when I was making a playlist [more on these later today, hopefully] for the trusty iPod knockoff (aka Thingy 2, a 30-gig Creative Labs Zen [recommended!], Thingy 1 having been my 2004-era Zen, which, now by comparison, was crude and looked like something from the Soviet space program) that I realized I did NOT have "Bank Holiday Monday" by his most-of-the-time band The Lilac Time in my Thingy2 library or even on my external hard drive. WTF?

So, I remedied this this morning, and, scouring youtube for "Bank Holiday Monday" (fruitlessly, it turned out, but for a Stereophonics track of same name, possibly a cover, but I don't care about Stereophonics enough to even check - zing!), I did find a video for his 1993-era single "Natalie" which is just lovely as well and full of lotza luvverly ladies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ar9LCIkqOI

Anyway: he was Duran singer pre-Simon, had a big British hit in the 80s with a very twee number called "Kiss Me", out-Brit popped most Britpop era kids but lost out by being old, wrote a bunch of songs for Robbie Williams...should be bigger than, I dunno, Jason Mraz or something.

No comments: