Friday, January 16, 2009

Building Lounge

A friend writes that he is to be seen with Vans aloft at about 6:25 in on this vid of Black Flag at the Jockey Club in 1984:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt_lWtVPGSQ



This put us in mind of the Jockey Club, a former shit punk rock dive on "the Kentucky side" of Cincinnati, and, then, in turn, to The Building Lounge here in Dayton.



Um, what the hell was the Building Lounge?


I was debating with a friend what street it was even on; I'd thought on 5th, near the Silver Slipper. But no, the address is on 3rd.


Basically, take a prototypical Eagles lodge, divide it in half and have one side cater to older, mostly black dudes who were probably the owners (?). Then the other half, have an atmosphere-free room with a stage and local rawk congnoscenti playing shows...GBV, Pleasures Pale, Highwaymen, etc. My fave memory was seeing a band called 14 Rooms, whose line up was gtr/vox, bass, drums and a fourth guy who blew sax (!), but only on a portion of the set, so on the balance he shook maracas. Plus, as a bonus, they were very uninteresting!

All sorts of underage drinking and such...I mean, I was, what? 17? No IDs needed...indeed, I.D. Under probably played there...(http://www.idunder.org/)


I wonder - I have to ask around and dig up some facts on this...plus, we have a digital camera, suddenly, so I may take a picture of the address, see what's there. Though, it may be better to take a Polaroid and scan it. I feel like it may have burned down?


AND - the old channel 22 logo: what was that "shining" jewel thing next to the number?:

1 comment:

Mr. Ray West said...

I asked for (and received) Dr. Creep's autograph after an Ice Show at Hara Arena. I always suspected that Dr. Creep was my Uncle Larry. No two men could looks so similar in a tight-fitting turtleneck.