Friday, January 23, 2009

A hip hangout this town needs

For ages now I've felt a yearning to open some sort of shop...like a record store, where the cool people can just come and hang out. Have coffee, ace playlists compiled by me, maybe a some esoteric classic movie on TV with sound low (Rebel Without a Cause, > My Life as a Dog, > Manhattan, > Quadrophenia and that would just be today!)...but, see, record stores are obsolete.

Then I thought for a while - a barber shop! With hip dudes and chicks cutting heads...but then, bits of hair can get in the coffee and there would probably be employee drama when Seth and beau break up, or Mindy would be coming in drunk all the time and would need a stern-yet-tender talking-to. No thanks!

Now, in my nigh fifteen years of pet ownership, no fuzzy kid of my acquaintance has ever needed a medicine not readily on hand at the vet's office, until just Monday when the hyper-thyroid Biscuitmarie* needed some nostrum from the actual CVS. Then it occurred to me - a pet pharmacy. Hip tunes, movies, UK magazines, coffee...who wouldn't want to come pick up labradoodle salve at a place such as that??? Maybe seven customers a day, the rest of the time sitting around talking about the sizeable legacy of Jellyfish, Francois Truffaut, 70s baseball and the like...

Why didn't I think of this before??


* Day three of meds and she's already stopped barfing everywhere! So far!

1 comment:

Bricker said...

Stick with the barber shop scenario. It has teeth.

Just saw a movie recently, that you might enjoy. This is England, about skinheads. It was sad, but good. I asked you before, about England. I've never been there, but I have a Mike Leigh version running through my head.

Happy Saturday,
Mrs. West