Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Kenickie

Should probably mention here I've never seen all of Grease, not that I care. I was at Lake George, NY, with my parents in 1977 (age 8) and we went to see this movie (after an Italian dinner where I had for an aperatif a cocktail of grape juice and ginger ale, a libation I still enjoy to this very day!) and my parents made us leave! Too much making out, I would guess. And they weren't prudes, really. So I don't know. What was Grease rated? My first R movie was Creepshow.

ANYway (and a parenthetical note here, before we move on, that Didi Conn was hot!), Britpop four-piece Kenickie took their name from Jeff Conway's character and they ruled for a couple of reasons (or maybe four, let's see how many I think of): 1.) they weren't like super-hot in a conventional sense and yet refreshingly seemed to not give a shit; 2.) they reached a level of success not even a third of that achieved by Elastica (who the guy walking by your cube has never heard of, either); 3.) their male drummer had the sort of blurry features of a young Truman Capote 4.) frontwoman Lauren LaVerne (now a Radio 4 personality, I learn) vowed in Select to remain "tight with age" and 5.) I've had this song stuck in my head all day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLyXywywL0Q

No comments: