Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sunday morning records

Never been one to yap about "Sunday morning records," because, until recently, I have not been a decrepit old person. Sunday morning records, as I understand them, are LPs that are soothing and not too boisterous, something to make an omelette to for a loved one who still lies abed, coming down from one too many "jellies." Or something.

I've always kept Echo and the Bunnymen at sort of an arm's distance - I liked them, but they were never top-tier with me [although I did catch a peripheral reflection of myself in a shop window not long ago and for a minute I looked like late drummer Pete Defreitas; I think it was actually the hair]; howebber, I recently heard their LP What Are You Going to Do With Your Life? and man, if I were partial to Sunday morning records, I would start with this. It's too beautiful! Maybe my fave by them, including Ian's solo album Candleland! Makes me want to make some coffee and cook some scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and fresh thyme!

Plus it came out in 1999, so it's not even remotely new [maybe this accounts for some of the seemingly tacked-on (but not obtrusive) Oasisims]. Where DOES time go?

No comments: