Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Elizabeth Peyton

I always thought I didn't like the painter Elizabeth Peyton, mostly known for her portraits of 90s Britpop stars. Turns out she is a really great colorist, and is excellent in general. Plus, she's Amurrican, of which I had no idea, given her propensity for painting Jarvis Cocker, et al.

I saw a still life of hers in (I think?) Vogue last year, with a vase of flowers that were simple smears but almost photo-realistic upon squinting. I duly clipped it out and stuck it on the wall next to some other crap. Then one day I noticed that lurking in the background was a corner of the cover of Horses by Patti Smith! But the flowers were so well done that I didn't even noticed the Ramones-a-like Smith hanging around.

Here's Brett Anderson:


Wait, I guess that's supposed to be Georgia O'Keefe. Well, whatever, I dig; I may need to suck it up and get a compendium that's on Alibris...

No comments: