Wednesday, August 20, 2008

the key word here is context



I'm about 61 years old, so there's no reason for me to love this record, particularly since I have zero context with them, and had no pre-conceived notions about them, when I first heard them on Idolator a bit back. I was not sure whether they were Against Me! or maybe even Avail...Aesop Rock...

The ellipse is part of the name, even, so that is annoying. But I loved the first song I heard and like the second, so I acquired the LP and it's just dandy. What's nice about it is these kids (and I think they are about 11 years of age) go a lot (or, as their core fan constituency would probably have it, alot) further than is strictly necessary to deliver hook after hook after hook and tight-as-prime-Descendents musicianship with the occasional added Cars-by-way-of-Tegan & Sara keyboard squiggles.

I suppose an easy way to describe it would be "good Jimmy Eats World" [and can you believe that that once-infamous-to-Christianists video with the kids all partying in their underoos came out twenty-five years ago???] or maybe "Smoking Popes for the young" but they have their own thing going. As I say, I have little context in which to place them, seeing as I have no use for Vans WarpFestDotComDot666RadXFest-a-thon!-type tours or whatever "scene" would claim these tykes; equally, their being on the cover of AP means to me little more than Orgy must still be broken up. So, all in all, a pleasant surprise, even to a bitter old person who understands that school started today.

"About a Girl" fan vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nQEHyFuhG4

No comments: