Friday, August 15, 2008

The Taos Hum...of my leg

Cell phones are everywhere! Have you seen them?

I got one last summer; I remember because it was the same week that the Posh and Becks: Coming to America special was on.

Of course, after putting off getting a cellular phone for years, I was quickly addicted to it. And I still use it quite frequently!

I never ever have the ringer set to anything other than vibrate, though. It's rude to bother other people. It also blows my mind that so many people buy special ringtones, that, indeed, ringtones are about the only part of the music biz not totally dying...or so it was a year ago.

SO, I keep my phone in my pocket and wait for the telltale buzz when someone calls. Only NOW, I'm starting to occasionally feel the buzz in my leg even when the phone isn't buzzing! Indeed, when it's not even on my person! Like the phantom pain of a missing limb! Just once in a while, but still - SPOOKY!

Since entering the realm of, and reflecting on, paranormality, I remembered that when I was a kid, there was a story about the Bristol Hum on the (CBS) evening news. Bristol in the UK was afflicted by an odd whirring or humming noise that had no discernible source. You could just hear it when walking through a secluded mews, apparently, as if there was machinery running nearby or a distant factory's rumble pervading the area.

By the 90s, there was a perceived hum in Taos, N.M., the oddness having been co-opted by the new-agey American Southwest. I didn't hear of this until recently...I would have guessed it was some mid-90s youths who had gotten some bad vibes after a Candlebox show, but no, there is much on the 'net re this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGHe7rdq0Ds&feature=related

Now, what about me and my mysterious leg? I'm carrying on, one day at a time, hoping again that whatever force is controlling me is a benevolent one, both for my sake -- and mankind's.


Bonus crap you have forgotten about!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lXeKqQH0O4

No comments: