Friday, August 8, 2008

Great Danes


Hamlet, being a wuss, could never have rocked out like his Dane compatriots in Mew, who are in the process of recording a new record. I normally would frown on guys who can play so exceedingly well, but their fractured song structures and freaky stacked rhythms instead cause me to wig. Who knew?
Plus, the propensity for having albums called things like Frengers and featuring female matadors on the covers goes a long way up the "damaged" charm scale. And a single called "Am I Wry? No":
At the opposite end of things is/are the lovely Alphabeat and their single "Boyfriend," which is like every half-decent pop song of the 80s having its DNA extracted to make a perfect cloned pop beast. It's the only thing I have heard by them, and is probably the only thing I will ever need to hear from them. The "oh yeah/it's just because I'm crazy in love" pre-chorus could be the mighty Sophie Ellis-Bextor*:
I remain, your faithful correspendent, "a robustious periwig-pated fellow." - Hamlet, 3. 2

No comments: