Thursday, August 7, 2008

Of Montreal



I've not understood how Of Montreal retains its nigh-unanimous indie-critic approval in the face of their selling some music to a sub-par steak chain, but it's not too much of a concern, apparently. Can't say I'm concerned, I just have failed to ever get too into them, with the Adam-and-the-Ants-but-more-artsy style of dress and the "difficult" song titles. I'm happy for them, but life is too short for full fandom...

I must say, though, that the latest mp3 to fall from the sky to the Forkcast (I would go get the link, but ever since their site move a while back, it's loaded so slowly [for me]; it's not worth it for our purposes here), called "Id Engager," rather kills. It's like a Scissor Sisters song, all disco and flash with many sweet, showy, and squelchy embellishments, and a chorus that Prince somehow left off the Black Album: "can't help it if it's true/don't wanna be a man, just wanna play with you [u?]."

The album is called Skeletal Lamping, which is okay, since there haven't been a great number of uses of "lamping" since "Cold Lampin' With Flava."

No comments: