Friday, August 29, 2008

Fly fishing

My oldest brother (I have three, two older and one, my parents' cat DC, younger than me by some margin) has me fly fishing again and it's beautiful.

We use to go when I was a kid. Recently we are going again and it's such a kick to get out early on Saturday morning and see the sun come up.

In the 90s fly fishing was co-opted by the mega-swells and trendoids who saw A River Runs Through It and thought it would be a good way to spend money. But these little ponds we frequent are scarcely touched, except by the divorced-dad-with-sons-and-worm-can crowd and they don't stay long.

We may get another friend to join us. The Intended, ever sharp as a tack, posits "So, it will be like A River Runs Through It, only fat."

I'm fully committed again for the first time in twenty-five years. And it's only been summer. My brother says wait 'til we have waders on and it's just freezing and it starts to snow.

Of course, on that day, I would hope to wear an LL Bean Norwegian crewneck such as this:



but I just found out they don't make them anymore which is, of course, BULLSHIT!

1 comment:

Rob said...

Alas, the Norwegian Beaner is no longer available, but you can come awfully close. Close, as in, same manufacturer!

http://www.norwegiansweaters.com/375.htm

Ahh, now he's ready for some fishin'.