Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Oxford cloth shirts are HOT! Thanks, GQ!

From the September GQ magazine (asterisks mine):
This summer I inherited* two nearly perfect oxford-cloth shirts: one blue, one
white, both with rounded club collars showing a little of that much-sought-after
gentle fraying. The morning after I got 'em**, I woke up, put the white
one on and started getting ready for work. By the time, I had it tucked
in, I was hot. By the time I had a tie on, I was sweating.
Oxford-cloth shirts look excellent under a suit, and they're as in style now as
they've ever been.*** But they're also made of seriously heavy cotton
that's more appropriate for fall and winter. When I finally break mine
out, you'll be reading next month's GQ. - W.W.
So, W.W., next thing you will tell me is that I shouldn't wear a turtleneck on the 4th of July and that a ski hat is probably wrong for the All-Star Game. Yes, if it's hot out, don't wear a heavy shirt. Someone got paid for writing that! And yet, I daily**** write this screed de couer for you, my only friend, for free. Uncool.
* literally inherited as in from a dead relative? Or were they merely acquired? There's a difference.
** " 'em"? Is this homely down-Maine touch necessary? I mean, I do it, when trying to convey some sort of goony folksiness, but a discussion of sumptuary matters is not the place for such tics.
*** Good grief! Oxford-cloth shirts are beyond in and out of "style." They just are. This reminds me of USA Today when Oprah's Book Club was getting big, they put a headline in the Friday purple Life section: Oprah Makes Books Cool Again. I'm still not over this one.
Sometimes I get so tired.
**** Will be a month already on Saturday! Had you noticed???

No comments: