Friday, August 1, 2008

PKD4EVS


New vanity plate!

Tremendously stoked that today or tomorrow a new compendium of Philip K Dick will arrive in the mail. Five Novels of the 1960s and 70s.
I was never crazy for science fiction when I was a kid, although like everyone (well, the readers) in my high school, I had a Harlan Ellison phase. Ah, Shatterday...
I made the mistake, I see retrospectively, of reading VALIS first, as I remembered it as a touchstone of hipster cool ca. 1992. It was way the hell out there, and, I see know, a culmination of all of Dick's religious obsessions. But maybe it all happened. (?)
Anyway, I ordered the first volume of these Library of America collections when it came out and read each of the four novels a few months apart. The sheer amount of invention crammed into his narratives is staggering, yet the characters remain human, even when they may not actually be. Ubik, in particular, floored me.
Also, NEED this:

No comments: