Monday, August 25, 2008

YOUR crappy local rock "standards"

Not sure about wherever you are, but I often wonder about whether every city/corner of a state has its own set of crappy rock songs that are still played into the ground pretty much exclusively in your region, as if they really must have meant something to people back in the day and so are trudged out once daily to transport the halt and the simple "back."
I'm thinking of our fine regional outlets' overreliance on:
"Children of the Sun" - by Billy Thorpe, which I first heard or noticed at Field Day, last day of school in 7th grade...
"Lunatic Fringe," by Red Ryder. Rock-nerd erudition watch: sung by the guy who went on to do "Life Is A Highway," which is overplayed on the Crying Admin stations (see other posts)...
"Heavy Metal" by Don Felder. A co-worker asked me one day if I knew that the whole Heavy Metal soundtrack was "the greatest soundtrack of all time." I didn't!!
The works of Canadian power trio Triumph. I thought Rush got to be the shitty Rush. ?
I guess what I wonder is whether my area (the 937) has an exclusive muscle-memory to these crap-trax, or whether they are played into the ground everywhere else AND (a two-parter!) whether in other regions of the country you have songs that are regional cliches for no apparent reason. Somewhere in Maine, will you die if you hear "She's A Beauty" one more time? Ready to jump off the Golden Gate at another play of "Workin' for the Weekend"?

No comments: