Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Stereo

Paul Westerberg's Stereo came out in 2002, and I just heard it today. Kicks (some) ass, actually (I never cared about his solo stuff, that I can remember, and the Replacements songs/LPs I love I love, the stuff I don't like bores me stiff, and this album discussed presently is itself a microcosm of this phenom). A friend told me about four years ago I would love this and I just couldn't get enthusiastic enough to listen to it. But opener "High Times" sets the tone, which is: sloppy, almost-punk rock songs played enthusiastically with a Stones undertone. Vocals sound great throughout as well. The groovy "Eyes Like Sparks" makes a mantra of the line "Stay where you are/baby, stay away from me/with your eyes like sparks/and my heart like gasoline." Nice!

No comments: